Friday, August 4, 2017

My Boys First Kayak / Camp

I've been saying I would take my boys camping for a couple years but never got around to it...this year I promised them we would go.  I kept and eye on the weather and a 3-4 day window opened up of next to no wind and low chance or rain so it was time to get my boys out kayak camping.
I got all the gear packed the night before, double checked I didn't miss anything, and we left shortly after lunch on Wednesday afternoon.

The boys slept most of the way there.  I got to Colinet and had the boats unloaded and half packed before they woke up.

As soon as the boys woke up they started to get all excited to go in the kayak!
I was pretty excited about this one myself.
Lou wanted me to do a roll one time for him and since then whenever I get home he asks me if I tipped over.  When we got in the boats he said "dad are we gonna tip over today?" lol ... I laughed and said no buddy not today...I hope.

With the boys all set up and hooked on we took off for Pinchgut!

Wasn't the sunniest of days but we were too busy enjoying our first kayak trip to care.

 I gotta say it was a long 7.5 km towing a loaded RG haha.

 We stopped for a quick snack just at the tip of Pinchgut Island.  

I should have stopped and got the boys out for a little stretch...it was a bit long for them all at once I think.  3 of us we glad to see the beach.





First kayak camp trip half done!

 First thing on the list was to get the beds set up in case of rain.
My buddy Dean had a great idea of letting me borrow his hammock for the boys.
If they are going to start camping might as well start them off with the best ;)



After our hammocks were set up it was past 6 and the boys were getting hungry so I got a fire going and our tenderloin steaks on the grill!  On my last camping trip my buddy Clyde had instant mashed potatoes...I never thought about taking that before so that's what we had with our steaks.

Ocean front property for the night.

After supper the boys wanted to go for a walk up the beach


Lou's a big fan of roasted marshmallows!

Will thought it was taking too long... lol

And no camping trip would be complete without jiffy pop on the fire.

  
I turn around for 2 minutes to get some more wood for the fire and when I look back....I was stuck with sitting on a log for the next hour or so... looks like I'm in the market for a few more chairs.

The boys were really excited about sleeping in the hammock! :)

As soon as I sat back in my hammock...I hear a crack and my ass hits the ground lol
Looks like I had too many marshmallows...

I got the boys up and re-rigged our hammocks to a larger part of the tree...this one held  up.

I was really surprised at how well the boys did in the hammock.  After a bit of excitement and laughs I put on some music and they passed out.  They slept solid the whole night!

We woke up around 8:30...that's later than I get to sleep at home.
Pancakes for breakfast! 

After breakfast and another walk up the beach we pack up all the gear and headed back to Colinet.

Much nicer day today!

A few small wind waves made the ride back a little more exciting for them.  A few laughs and "go faster dad"... if only the knew lol.

I'm really happy with how our first kayak / camp trip turned out.
We had no real issues, the weather was good, and most of all they had fun!
I asked them when we got back to the car if they would go camping again with me?  I got a "yep" from one and a "when are we going again?" from the other.
Looks like I got a couple of future level 4 kayakers on my hands.... :)

3 comments:

  1. That's awesome Shane!!! What a Dad!!! Those memories will stay with you and the boys forever.

    ReplyDelete
  2. good stuff Shane... it reminds me of trips I did with my Father when I was very young too, and even though I was young I still have memories of them... your boys will also remember too...

    ReplyDelete
  3. i turned out better than I thought... the boys really enjoyed themselves! I'm gonna have to get a tent to open up more options for us.

    ReplyDelete