Monday, June 6, 2016

Placentia Round 3

Dean e-mailed us letting everyone know that him and Neville planned on having another go at Placentia this weekend.  I've been to Placentia twice so far this year but it's a lot of fun so I said I'd be in for round 3!
When we got all geared up and on the water Dean, Neville, and myself went for a little warm up paddle down the southeast arm.

We paddled a fair ways down just to pass some time and to check out a spot I thought would make a decent camp site.
We paddled until we thought the tide had dropped enough to give us a decent flow under the bridge.
On the way back we stopped to try out a little eddy before testing our skills in the faster moving current.

We each had a go at breaking in going backwards...a little tricky to get used to.

After a few runs at this we carried on and met up with Terry and Ron.
Here's Ron.

Terry having a go.

Neville.

We had a little rescue practice in the current to see how it would go.
Dean volunteered to be the rescuee.

Here is a lesson on the heel hook.
And Terry towing us out of the main flow.  Notice how far we drifted from the bridge.

We all enjoyed the practice and learned from it but this was a pretty cool exercise for me.
Last year this time I remember a day in St. Philip's and Dean and Brian were hanging back.  All of a sudden Dean yells "SWIMMER" so we all stop and turn to go back.  As I get there Deans telling me to help Brian and I can hardly keep my kayak right side up myself (this was not a rough day, I was just very new and this was part of Wednesday practice).  Anyways Dean talked me through it and learned how to put a swimmer back in their kayak.  Since then Dean and Brian pulled me out of the water and got me back in my boat well over a dozen times from all my capsizes so it was awesome to be able to "rescue" the teacher for a change.  Obviously Dean didn't NEED my help but it was great that we played the event through for a laugh.

Me just breaking through the eddy line.

Here I am mid ferry glide.

And here I am a half a second away from needing to roll trying to break through backwards.

Great day in Placentia as always!
Dean, Neville, Terry, and Ron... Great fun, Thanks for the day!!
I put together a little video, you can check it out here:


4 comments:

  1. So kind of you Shane, but the truth of the matter is that the faster water got the better of me and I blew my roll, didn't get enough air on my second attempt (Shane thought I had a third go at it but I cannot remember), swallowed some water as I went under again, and had to pop the skirt and get out. My initial plan was to re-enter and roll when I had got some air back into my lungs but Shane was on me pretty quick and he just went right into rescue mode and did an excellent job of saving me. It was my first unintentional swim in seven years!! I have my own pics from the day but just haven't had time to post them...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm excited to see some of the pictures you go too. First swim in seven years yep not everyone can say that haha glad I was there tho to witness this rare event!
    Great Fun!

    ReplyDelete
  3. OMG, Dean had a wet exit!

    I've seen him roll in some really challenging conditions so 1 swim in 7 years is no big deal. Cathy will get a chuckle out of him taking a gulp!

    Tony :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well... I couldn't decide if I should comment on the Soup de jour or raz him forever that he doesn't have a roll!!.... or pat Shane on the back for being able to be there for the Mean guy....or Terry for hauling their hulls outta there before they got to Burin.... or the smooth ferry rides you guys were catching... evern backwards!! :) ... or how much I wuld have iked t be there too if it wasn't so 'soupy' and we weren't on another awesome paddle around rigs and bergs and caves (http://mynewfoundlandkayakexperience.blogspot.ca/2016/06/bagging-my-first-iceberg-of-2016.html)... but in the end, I am really glad Dean is ok and got that stuff out of his lungs, and that he knows he is in good hands too :) Thanks for the evidence Shane! :)

    ReplyDelete